HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) have launched five new taskforces which will focus on tackling tax evasion in various parts of the country. The taskforces will target:
- Scrap metal dealers in Scotland, focusing on those who are deliberately suppressing their income or inflating expenditure to evade paying tax
- Construction traders who are self employed or run their own company who suppress sales or over-claim expenses in the North West and North Wales
- Taxpayers not submitting their statutory returns across Corporation Tax, Income tax Self Assessment, PAYE and VAT in the South East
- Fast food outlets deliberately falsifying their records and mis-declaring their true sales levels to avoid paying the correct taxes in Scotland
- Landlords – owning or renting three or more properties – evading their tax responsibilities in North West and North Wales.
Some of the areas chosen are well worn in terms of attention. It is welcome that Yorkshire has been spared!
More information is available here.